DIVINE SMOKED DUCK BREAST AND ROASTED APPLES
photo by Pauline S.
- Ready In:
- 250 ml apple juice
- 4 apples
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 200 g smoked duck breast (cut in thin slices)
- 150 g young lettuce
- 60 g hazelnuts (or pinenutes)
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pinches salt and pepper
- Reduce the apple juice until only 50 ml remains.
- Cut the apples in four quarters and then in thiner slices (french fries style) but leaving on every slice one side with the skin of the apple.
- Heat the butter in a pan and roast the pieces of apple. Add in sugar and lemon juice. .
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add in the boiled apple juice and honey, then mix with the apples. I use the Leatherwood Tasmanian Honey that is more consistent and stronger in taste than regular honey (like Acacia).
- Chop the hazelnuts and grill them in a fat-free pan until they start to smell. You can substitute hazelnuts for pinenutes (no need to roast them).
- Peel the shallot, slice it into small cubes and mix with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Season the young lettuce with this vinaigrette. Add on top of the lettuce the slices of roasted apples and smoked duck breast. Personally I add in my plate a little bit of the juice cooking from apples as well because I find it delicious. Top everything with roasted hazelnut or pinenutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!