Danish White Cucumber Pickles
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 7 large cucumbers (cukes must be very large but not soft or yellow)
- 6 cups sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups pickling vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
Divide into each of the 8 jars before packing
- 8 hot pepper, 1 each (optional)
- 8 teaspoons mustard seeds, 1 tsp each
- 8 small bay leaves, 1 each
- 4 teaspoons dill seeds, 1/2 tsp each
- 80 whole white peppercorns, 10 each
- Sterilize 8 pint jars.
- Make syrup by, putting the sugar, vinegar and water in a large pot, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and bring to a boil, when you fill jars have it at a full boil.
- Peel the cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut cucumbers into1/2 " spears that are about 3/4 " shorter than the pint jar, thus allowing some headroom. As you are cutting up the cukes put the prepared ones in ice-water until you put them into the jars Pack jars tightly with the spears standing upright( spears go on top of the spices already in the jar).
- Fill jars with boiling vinegar/syrup , make sure the jar's edges are clean with no vinegar/syrup on them. Place a lid on and screw on the ring.
- Check that they have popped.
- Leave for at least 2 weeks & enjoy.
These are great pickles with a very nice bite!! I did not make them but was given a bottle by my friend. Delicious!! and enjoyed by all at Easter weekend, I put them out with some appetizers and they were gone in less than 10 minutes. Thanks Bergy for a real treat!! These pickles really are outstanding!! Very very crisp, thanks Bergy!!
I've been making these for years and am sorry to realize I never reviewed. These are excellent - mildy sweet and have a nice crunch. I slice my peeled cukes into coins and leave out the hot pepper in a few jars for my dad. People are curious and unsure of their different appearance, but one bite and they're in love.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
On January 10 2010 I will celebrate 9 years of Life with Zaar. I can't imagine being without it! It has become part of my daily routine. I feel very privileged to be one of the hosts on the Photo Forum. Taking photos of my culinary efforts is a full time hobby and I love it. My friends all know what to expect when they come to dinner "Are you finished taking pictures?" or "Did you get a photo of so & so?" I never let them wait too long and the food is NEVER cold! I now have over 6000 photos on Zaar - some fairly good and some definitely not so good. I am happy to say that practice does help. My roots are in Vancouver BC Canada - a very beautiful city that holds many wonderful memories for me. In 1990, I decided that for my retirement years I may want to settle in a smaller community and found a slice of heaven in the North Okanagan B.C. I love living here but every once in a while I miss the bright city lights, the Broadway shows and some of the small wonderful ethnic restaurants that Vancouver abounds in. That is easily resolved. I just take a trip to the coast, visit with friends for a weekend see a show and feast on Dim Sum or other specialty foods. I am getting a bit long in the tooth but was a very adventurous person. I have river rafted Hell's Gate on the Fraser river, been up in a glider over Hawaii (no not a Hang Glider!), gone hot air ballooning in the Napa Valley & the Fraser Valley, driven dune buggies on the dunes in Oregon, Para sailing in Mexico and tried many other adventurous, challenging, fun things. I have yet to try bungee jumping or sky diving. I may do them yet. I love to travel and experience other cultures. Mexco has been a favorite haunt. I have visited that lovely country many many times. Australia is another favorite as is England! In the past 16 months I have taken off 61 pounds and feel wonderful. I am off all medications and all systems are GO! In years I may be 79 but in spirit I am still in my forties. We are only as old as we allow ourselves to feel. Always think positive. Do something a bit challenging every day & always do something silly every day. Be a kid again! Laugh every day - it is internal jogging. Here are a few of my photos <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowFullscreen="true" src="http://w615.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/Bergylicious/ABM slideshow/d95d7a18.pbw" height="360" width="480">