- Ready In:
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar, vanilla and lemon peel.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the batter in 3 parts, alternating with the cream in 2 parts.
- The dough will be quite soft, but this results in more tender doughnuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or until firm.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts.
- Work with 1 part at a time, refrigerating the remaining portions to keep them firm.
- On a well floured surface, roll out one portion of dough about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut strips of dough 3/4 inch wide and 6 inches long.
- Twist each strip 3 times, then join ends by dampening with a drop of water and pinching together firmly.
- Heat about 3 inches of oil to 360 F.
- Fry the croquignoles until golden, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat the rolling, shaping and frying with the rest of the dough, always keeping any unused dough in the refrigerator to keep it firm.
- Place the doughnuts on a large serving platter or tray and sprinkle icing sugar generously over the tops.
- Serve as fresh as possible.
- Makes about 48 croquignoles.
- Elizabeth Baird's Favourites.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!