Crescent Cheeseburger Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 large egg whites
- 5 -6 slices kraft american cheddar cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Lightly grease a 9 or 10-inch pie plate.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef with onion, garlic, bell pepper, oregano and chili flakes (if using) drain fat, season with seasoned salt and black pepper, then mix in 1/4-1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and mushrooms; simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
- Unroll one package of crescent rolls and separate the dough in triangles; arrange the triangles with pointed ends to the center, then press the edges together to form a pie shell.
- In a bowl beat together 2 egg yolks and 3 egg whites until well combined.
- Pour HALF of the egg mixture over the pie shell.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the shell over the egg mixture.
- Arrange the cheese slices over the beef mixture, then top with remaining beaten egg mixture.
- Unroll the second crescent roll package, then place four sections of dough together to form a 12x16-inch rectangle; press edges and perforations together, then roll the dough into a 12-inch square.
- In a small bowl whisk 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon cold water.
- Brush the edges of bottom crust with yolk/water mixture, then place the dough on top of the beef filling; trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cut small two slits in top of the crust, then brush the top dough with yolk/water mixture; sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Loosley cover the edge with a foil strip to prevent browning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Cover the center of the pie loosley with foil and continue to bake for about 20 minutes longer.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Not a big surprise, a Kittencal recipe that is a BIG hit in our house. Everyone loved this, asked me immediately to repeat it soon. Another big bonus: my 4 1/2 year old is undergoing chemo, his appetite is quite hit or miss....he asked for this for dinner 3 nights in a row, also, I saw him scooping up crumbs of it and piling it on his fork, his Oncologist and I THANK YOU Kittencal!!
This is absolutely wonderful! Tastes like a wonderfully fancy creation served in an expensive restaurant - not at all like a humble hamburger pie! And easy to make too, although I admit I skipped the last couple steps and just put it in the oven with no foil - but did put it on a cookie sheet. Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having often!