Creme Brulee Waffles
photo by Genius Kitchen
- Ready In:
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
For the Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (separated)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups turbinado sugar (raw)
For the cream cheese filling:
- Using a stand or hand mixer, or a whisk, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Place the filling in a piping bag or scrape it into a small bowl. Set the filling aside.
For the batter:
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and egg yolks. Add the buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until medium-stiff peaks form. You can also do this by hand.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until smooth, then fold in the egg whites.
To make the waffles:
- Preheat a waffle iron to the medium heat setting.
- Generously spray both sides of the iron with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons of raw sugar onto the bottom of the iron, then spoon a scant cup of batter evenly on top of the sugar.
- If using a piping bag, pipe a swirl of the cream cheese filling on top of the batter.
- If not using a piping bag, drop 4 generous tablespoons of filling randomly over the batter.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of raw sugar on top of the waffle and close the iron. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the top is golden brown and releases from the iron when opened.
- Spray the top of the iron with non-stick spray and sprinkle the top of the waffle with another generous tablespoon of raw sugar. Close the lid and cook for 1 minute more or until the sugar has melted and formed a crust.
- Remove the waffle from the iron and place on a cooling rack. Wipe down the iron and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!