Crema De Queso Cubana (Cheese Soup)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Wonderful traditional creamy soup recipe from Don Paella in Florida. Traditionally in Cuba, Gouda cheese is used but any creamy cheese (Havarti or Asiago) can be used. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk or 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces gouda cheese (Asiago, Havarti or other creamy cheese)
- salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- Note: Do not cook over high heat!
- Whisk the butter with the flour and cook a little until golden in color (approx. 6 minutes).
- Add the milk or the half and half slowly to make a thick cream.
- Once mixture is hot, remove from heat, add the cheese and stir until dissolved.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
For having only a few ingredients this is very good soup. Do be patient and get that golden brown color on the flour and butter. We use skim milk and was worried about the soup being on the thin side but it worked out for us. Did use the gouda cheese and didnt need to add much salt but did give a good couple dashes of pepper. If I had fresh nutmeg to grate on top of the soup it would have been a nice flavor to add. Made and reviewed for Susie's World Tour 2019 - Cuba.1Replies 1