Creamy Buttermilk Baked Chicken Thighs
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 6 tablespoons cubed cold butter
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (or you may use as many that will fit into the baking dish)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, untiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (can use less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon season salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne, pepper (or adjust to suit heat level)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Set oven to 425 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to lowest position.
- Spray an 11 x 7 or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the cubed butter in the baking dish and melt in the oven until hot and bubbly (about 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile place 3/4 cup buttermilk into a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl combine the flour with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- Firstly coat the chicken in buttermilk (allowing excess to drip off) then coat 1 pieces of chicken at a time into the flour mixture.
- Place the chicken into the hot baking dish skin side down in the pan.
- Bake (425 degrees F) for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and continue to bake for another 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile for the sauce; in a bowl mix 1 cup buttermilk with the cream of mushroom soup 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper until smooth, then mix in 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour over and around the chicken then place back in the oven and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining 1/2 cup (or more) cheddar cheese and allow to melt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used low sodium soup, and followed the easy to follow directions. I did leave out the cayenne because my granddaughter was here and I was afraid she would turn her nose up if she tasted it at all. The chicken was nice and moist and real tasty, and we loved it with the sauce. You can bet this will be made often!!! Thanks Kitten!