Crackle-Top Ginger Date Cookies
Cookies that taste great and smell heavenly while baking
- Ready In:
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, soak 3/4 cup of the chopped dates in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Add egg, brown sugar, molasses, and butter to date and water mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the liquid ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chopped dates.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- With lightly floured hands, roll cookie dough into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls, then roll in granulated sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookie dough is still soft when lightly touched. Cool completely on rack. Store cookies in a cookie jar or a tightly sealed container.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION