Cottage Cheese Enchiladas (Vegetarian)
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup mizithra cheese, grated or 1/2 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 small white onion, grated
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (read intro )
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh chives, for garnish
- lime wedge
- In a mixing bowl combine the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, mizithra, onion and black pepper.
- Heat the enchilada sauce up in a large shallow pan.
- In a 9"x13" casserole dish, spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce.
- Soften the corn tortillas by lightly steaming or quickly micro-steaming just until softened.
- Dredge each warmed tortilla lightly in the sauce.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the cottage cheese mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the enchiladas. Cover with foil.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chives and serve with lime wedges.
- Prep time does not include preparing the enchilada sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These turned out great! Super quick and easy to put together and I loved that we didn't feel really weighed down after eating them. I took Boomette's suggestion of adding mushrooms. I had a ton to use up and they worked great in these. I never would have thought to use them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I 'll be making these again.
I made half the recipe and didn't think I would like it so much. Instead of mizithra cheese, I used low-fat mozzarella. I used red enchilada sauce that I made last week. I served it with chopped green onion, fresh chives and fat-free sour cream. Delish! I'll do it again but will add sauteed mushrooms. Thanks Cookgirl :) Made for the Saucy Senoritas of ZWT5