- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 large dried coconut, grated
- 3⁄4 lb grated pumpkin
- 1⁄2 lb grated sweet potato
- 3⁄4 lb sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 4 ounces raisins
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups cornflour or 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces melted butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 2 ounces melted shortening
- 1 cup milk
- banana leaves or plantain leaves, cut in 8 inch squares
- Mix the coconut, pumpkin, sweet potato, sugar, spices, almond essence, raisins, flour, corn flour, and salt together thoroughly.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the melted butter, shortening and milk and mix until smooth.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto each plantain leaf square, fold the edges to make a neat envelope and tie securely.
- Steam the conkies on a rack over boiling water in a large saucepan, or in a steamer, for about 1 hour or until they are firm.
- Unwrap the conkies and serve on a heated dish.
- Note: I may be off on the amount of servings this makes. It's been a while since I made it.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Ami and I share my home with my husband, Carey, our two small sons, James and Charles and our daughters Meradydd (it's pronounced Meradith)and Kathrynn. Until recently, I was a Specialist in the National Guard. I'm pretty eclectic in my studies and I've learned a lot becuase of that since I don't limit myself. Right now I'm taking classes for animal care. I've also been studying a lot about herbalism and really enjoy learning about that. My mother and I also run a home based business for natural soap, balms, etc. We use only the most the natural ingredients available. I'm also a Mary Kay consultant. Busy, huh? :D I love to read and learn new things. My husband says our books will be the death of us. LOL. I love to cook and experiment. I also like to take walks, rain or not.