Coffee Lovers Coffee Cake
photo by Cabnolen
- Ready In:
1 (9-inch) cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces (cold)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces (cold)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- Set oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, coffee granules, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; mix well with a spoon to combine.
- With a pastry blender/knife cut in the COLD butter until crumbly and well blended.
- Press half of the mixture into a prepared baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sour cream and baking soda; add in the egg, and whisk until combined.
- Add sour cream/egg mixture to the remaining crumb mixture, stiring gently JUST until combined.
- Pour over the crumb crust in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle over the top of cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It wasn't the best cake I've ever tasted, the baking soda tasted quite strong. I was quite surprised it turned out actually, since I've never baked a cake where I had to split the dry ingredients in half and layer them as the base. The base was actually a little crunchy. Cold butter was hard for me to cut in, so I semi-melted them so they were sort of soft. It's quite dense, and I didn't sprinkle the nuts, just the chocolate chips on top. As shown in the pictures, I used a round tin instead, it seems it serves 14..! Not too bad nonetheless, but am still in search for that coffee cake :)