Christmas Date Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 cups pitted dates, choopped
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- Pour boiling water over the dates, add the soda (it foams up a bit) and set them aside to cool.
- While they're cooling, mix together in a large mixing bowl the butter, 2 cups sugar, the eggs, salt and flour.
- One this is thoroughly mixed, add the cooled date mixture to the bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Butter and flour a 9x13 inch cake pan (the cake rises about 1 1/2 inches, so make sure the sides are tall enough). Pour the batter in the pan.
- Sprinkle the following on top, in this order, before baking: the chocolate chips, 1 cup sugar, nuts.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 80 minutes. A cake tester or long toothpick should come out clean one inch from the center when the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool in a pan on a wire rack. It can be served slightly warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!