- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup port wine or 1/2 cup red Zinfandel wine, wine*
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dried tart cherry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups oil (I use canola)
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces chocolate, cut into 6 pieces (bittersweet or semisweet)
- For sauce, in a small saucepan heat port to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; cook and stir 1 minute. Add cherries; cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees F. While oil heats, lightly brush edges of one wonton wrapper with some of the beaten egg. Place 1 piece of chocolate in center atop wonton wrapper. Place another wonton wrapper atop. Press edges to seal.
- Cook filled wontons, one at a time, in hot oil for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning frequently to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature. Cool wontons slightly. Sprinkle wontons evenly with sugar.
- Serve wontons with sauce and ice cream. Sprinkle ice cream with grated chocolate and serve with two spoons. Makes 2 servings.
- *TIP: If using zinfandel, increase sugar in sauce to 2 tablespoons.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love food. I love my family. I love my animals. I love life. I really enjoy simple but special recipes. My "kids" (2 "big dogs" and a cat) usually are my taste testers...(not to mention disposals)... I look forward to having some human responses to my creations.....More than that, I hope you enjoy and find some happiness in all of them. I've enjoyed creating/collecting, it is my priviledge to share with my Zaar friends! Favorite cookbook? Of my 500 or so, I must say Sid Goldstein's "The Wine Lover's Cookbook" takes top rank. Decadent, but absolutely amazing food, and pairs everything up with the appropriate wine to boot! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">