Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies
photo by tmhaendel
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 5/8 ounce) package Andes mints candies, chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- chopped nuts, sprinkles and crushed candy canes
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in the egg, sugars and extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in 3/4 cup Andes candies.
- Roll rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until tops appear slightly dry. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt 1 teaspoon shortening and remaining chocolate chips and Andes candies; stir until smooth. Melt white baking chips and remaining shortening in a microwave at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip half of the cookies in melted chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Dip remaining cookies in melted baking chip mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on wax paper. Immediately sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have a wonderful husband. Who likes to cook also. And I am a mother of three. My kids are 11, 9 and 5 years old. They all love helping us cook.