Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (or homemade yoghurt)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely shredded yellow squash, peel left on (or zucchini)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 small sweet apple, finely shredded, peel left on (I used Red Prince)
- 8 teaspoons coarse raw sugar (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
- Beat in the sugars and cocoa until smooth.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda until just combined, then add the squash, carrots and apple and fold in until evenly distributed.
- Scoop the prepared batter into the muffin tins ¾ of the way up.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"