Chipotle Grilled Filet Mignon Steak W/Mango Salsa
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Allow time to marinade. Recipe from the cookbook Let’s Grill by Frederick J. Simon and John Harrison.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 12mins
- 4 filet mignon, steaks (Beef Tenderloin, about 6 ounces each and 1 1/4 inches thick)
- coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced*
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice (2 medium limes)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut lengthwise around the pit into slices and then diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked and drained black beans (or canned and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 fresh-squeezed lime, juice of
- For The Chipotle Marinade: Place the olive oil, chipotle chiles, lime juice, honey, garlic, cilantro and salt in a blender; puree until smooth.
- For The Mango Salsa: In a medium-size bowl, combine the diced mangoes, black beans, bell pepper, scallions, jalapeno chile, cilantro and lime.
- Prepare Chipotle Marinade as described above. In a non-reactive baking dish or a resealable plastic bag, add the steaks and the Chipotle Marinade. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove steaks from refrigeration 1 hour before cooking and wipe excess marinade off the steaks. When you are ready to grill, preheat barbecue grill.
- Do not salt your steaks just before cooking. Salt brings moisture (water) to the surface of the steak and the water sits on the surface as you cook the steak. Thus, you are again basically steaming the steak. Salt after the steak is cooked to your liking, has rested the required time and just before serving.
- Place steaks onto hot grill of your barbecue and grill to the desired degree of doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Use a meat thermometer to test for doneness: Rare - 120 degrees F/Medium Rare 125 degrees F/Medium - 130 degrees F.
- When the steaks are crusty-charred and done to your liking, remove from the grill and let sit 15 minutes before serving (meat temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees after it is removed from the oven). Serve your perfectly cooked steaks with the prepared Mango Salsa.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION