This is a vegetarian recipe that was posted in the Montreal Gazette. I couldn't pass up on this recipe because of the different blend of ingredients. I think I should explain one of the ingredients here, since Zaar may not accept it in the list of ingredients. According to the explanation asafetida is used in many Indian dishes as a flavouring. It can be found in powedered or lump form in Indian grocery stores. In this recipe it is optional and you only need to use a 1/2 teaspoon.
- Ready In:
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 ounce sun-dried tomato
- 3 cups chickpeas (cooked or canned)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil or 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ancho chilies or 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat broiler.
- Roast bell peppers on a baking sheet under broiler, turning often, until blistered and blackened, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a paper bag, seal and set aside for 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, ribs and seed. Puree peppers in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water until softened, about ten minutes. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Puree sun-dried tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Puree 1/2 cup of the chicpeas with 1/4 cup of the water in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil; add asafetida and onion and saute until onion is brown. Stir in garlic, turmeric, cumin, chipotle pepper and ancho pepper.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Stir in sun-dried tomato puree, chickpea putee, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Reduce heat and simmer untila thick sauce forms about 10 minutes. Add reserved sun-dried tomato soaking liquid as necassary to prevent sticking.
- Mash plum tomatoes with a wooden spoon to release their liquid.
- Add bell pepper puree and cook for three minutes over medium heat.
- add remaining 2 1/2 cups chickpeas. Cover and cook until heated through. Serve.