Chinese Sloppy Joes
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use light Kikoman)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 garlic, clove finely minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle (green onions)
- 6 rolls
- In a large skillet saute ground turkey.
- Break up pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until no longer pink about 7-8 minutes.
- Drain any fat.
- Add tomato sauce, hoisin sauce, water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ground ginger.
- Stir to combine.
- Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir occassionally.
- Divide mixture equally over 6 aplit roll bottoms.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- I sprinkle mine with some toasted sesame seeds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We all like sloppy joes, but I was tired of the usual recipe, so when I saw this one I had to try it. This was good and easy- perfect to throw together last minute. I tossed in a handful of roughly chopped water chestnuts and they added a nice crunch along with the green onions. I also added a light drizzle of sesame oil. There wasn't a speck left. Anything that all four of us agree on is in my recipe box to stay. Thanks!
Very nice. I also served on hollowed out French bread. Next time I would up the sauce ingredients, as it was a little dry. I ground my own turkey breast, maybe it really soake dup the sauce. The onions are a must. Will make it again, a fast, easy, cheap (if you have the ingredients) and very pretty sandwich.