Chilled Spiced Yellow-Squash Soup
photo by dianegrapegrower
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 lbs crookneck yellow squash, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more to garnish
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- chopped mint, to garnish
- Combine the squash, olive oil, red pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric and 1 1/2 C water in a pot with a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until the squash is very tender.
- Once the squash has cooled, puree it in a blender on high for 30 seconds. Pass through a fine-mesh seive. When completely cool, season to taste with lime juic, salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with mint and a few drops of olive oil.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Books and cooking are my passions...I love cookbooks by default. I will begin working on a Masters in English this coming fall...hopefully I'll still have time to cook! Someday I'd like to be able to publish my own cookbook from my family's recipes, but for now I'm just going to concentrate on getting my degree and becoming a better cook. I have an amazing boyfriend who, at 30, is just learning how to like vegetables and two rad, stripey cats.