Chili.... Five Alarm
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Developed in 1885 by Joseph Steinwald, son of a cheese maker in Colby, Wisconsin. THIS IS FOR A CROCKPOT, but can be made on the stove top.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 35mins
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated colby cheese
- In a large skillet brown the beef, drain and set aside.Add onion and garlic sautee' on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon scoop the beef into a large crock pot. Combine all the ingredients in the crock pot EXCEPT, spicy topping!
- Stir to mix very well. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. If you are cooking on high you must stir once and awhile.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for topping. Stir well to combine all the flavors together. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Drop a couple of spoon fulls on top! Sprinkle with colby cheese, Serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I tweaked this puppy so much, but it's still a great chili recipe. For the meat I used ground chuck, so there would be less fat; I left out the beans, and in place of the jalepenos, I used two Scotch Bonnets, three Ghost Peppers and one Trinidad Scorpion. We're entering it into a contest for Chili-Heads, but I think even a non-chili-head would like it.1Reply