Chile Macaroni Con Queso Style
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with jalapenos if you like, I prefer jalapenos)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag monterey jack cheese or (8 ounce) bag Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 -2 green onions (optional) or 1 -2 scallion, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Cook macaroni according to directions on the macaroni box.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning.
- In a large bowl add cooled elbows, ground beef, two cans of diced tomatoes.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Add 3/4 of the shredded cheese bag to bowl and mix.
- Transfer ingredients to a large lasagna pan.
- Add remaining cheese and put on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.
Join The Conversation
When I straightened my pantry, I realized I had 10 cans of Ro-tel tomatoes. This looked like the perfect recipe to use a couple of cans. It was a little spicy but not too hot. The whole family loved it and it made a lot!! This was fast, easy and good..just what I look for in a recipe. This will be great for a cold night. Thanks for the recipe...love it! Yum..gonna have leftovers for lunch tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it!
What an easy but delicious family comfort meal for a busy weeknight. This reminded me of the chili mac casserole we use to have in the cafeteria years ago, and I've never found a recipe before that was close to it. Great find! I did brown the ground beef first with the taco seasoning, and drained off the grease, before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. I used one can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes (with chiles). The macaroni and beef were still hot, so it only took 20 minutes in the oven to get the cheese brown and bubbly. Thanks for sharing this little jewel.