Chickpea, Tomato, and Potato Stew
photo by Sunrabbit
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 43 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with juice (15 oz. cans x 3)
- 1 - 1 1⁄4 cup water (see instructions)
- 1 cube vegan bouillon
- 30 ounces potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 30 ounces canned chick-peas, drained
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews (or tahini)
- In a large stock pot, cook onion and garlic in oil until it starts to brown.
- Drain diced tomatoes, reserving drained liquid in a measuring cup. Add water to make a total of 1 1/2 cups. Add bouillon cube and mix well (heating in microwave if necessary).
- Add tomatoes, liquid (water, tomato juice, bouillon), potatoes, and spices. Bring to boil. *Cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot and stir.
- Place raw cashews in blender cup and add 2-3 cups of the simmering soup (broth, veggies, and all). Blend until perfectly smooth (if you have a Blendtec, use the Soup button). Pour mixture back into the pot and stir until well incorporated to create a thick, creamy stew.
- NOTES: *if you are in a rush, you can pre-cook your scrubbed, whole potatoes on the baked potato setting in a microwave, cool, then chop. Add to stew and stir, omitting the 15-20 minute cooking time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I cook only vegan food with healthy, whole food ingredients. I don't believe anyone can eat healthy food for the long haul if it is not delicious and satisfying, however, so my recipes are yummy as well as nutritious!</p>