Chicken Scottato Con Verdure (Seared Chicken With Vegetables)
photo by MOMMA-Mangia
- Ready In:
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 red onions or 1 yellow onion
- 1 portabella mushroom (or several Baby Bellas)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- Generously season the chicken all over (I like to rub the seasoning in, as it seems to stick better) and then add to a very hot non-stick pan. Do not add any oil or butter, put it in dry! Reduce heat to medium and sear on all sides until nice and brown.
- While the chicken is browning, prep your vegetables. You can use whatever vegetables you like and/or have on hand. I like to rough chop/slice my vegetables and keep them more on the rustic side. I would say about ½ inch-3/4 inch slices on a diagonal is what I prefer.
- Once the chicken is completely browned on all sides, I add the cut up vegetables and continue cooking the chicken with the vegetables. You can lower the heat to medium low, or low at this time. You will notice that between the chicken and the vegetables there’s a considerable amount of liquid in the pan. I added some good red wine (it so happened to be the same wine I was drinking…a nice Cabernet from our good friends at Del Bondio Winery in Napa) to the pan and continued to cook. I would say all and all it took about 35 minutes to cook this.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm Rita and I Love my "F" words...Food, Family, and Friends. I am a Mom of two wonderful teenagers and also have the best dog on the planet! M.O.M.M.A. is an acronym I came up with and it stands for "Memories Of My Mom Anna". My Mom was born and raised in Italy and I grew up with her always in the kitchen cooking. She never wrote a recipe down and yet she was one of the best cooks. I have the same passion my Mom did regarding food. I love to cook and I am teaching my own how to do the same. Mangia!