Chicken, Sausage and Vegetable Pot-Au-Feu
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 6 chicken legs
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 5 small turnips, peeled, each stuck with a clove
- 5 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 12 small red potatoes
- 6 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
Horseradish Cream (for serving)
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup horseradish, well drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- Directions for Horseradish cream. Prep time: 10 minutes.
- Combine cream, mustard, horseradish and sugar in small bowl. Taste; adjust as desired. Can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated.
- Directions for Chicken, sausage and vegetable pot-au-feu.
- Heat oil in 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages stirring frequently until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from sausages pot and set aside.
- Add chicken, salt and pepper to pot; sear on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Push chicken to side of pot; add garlic and minced onions to cleared side of pot. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cans broth, turnips, zucchini, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add reserved sausages and more broth, if needed, during last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Serve from pot or transfer vegetables to warm platter.
- Skim fat from broth (gravy strainer works well) and moisten meat and vegetables with some broth.
- Pass remaining broth and horseradish cream separately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!