photo by I'mPat
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 plump bone-in skinless chicken thighs, about 2 lb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced shallot
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality smooth Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- fresh thyme sprig
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Melt butter with oil in a large flameproof casserole or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt.
- Cook in batches 5 to 7 minutes, until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken thighs from casserole as each batch cooks, and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, add shallots to fat remaining in casserole.
- Cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes until softened.
- Return chicken thighs to casserole, meaty side up, along with any juices that have accumulated on plate. Cover casserole and transfer to the oven.
- Cook 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken thighs from casserole. Arrange meaty sides up on a baking sheet. Spread 2 tbsp mustard evenly over thighs. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Return chicken thighs to turned-off oven to keep warm.
- Tip contents of casserole into a sieve set over a bowl, reserving contents of sieve. Skim off as much fat as possible from liquid in bowl.
- Return skimmed liquid to casserole, along with wine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from bottom of casserole.
- Boil over high heat 3 to 5 minutes, until liquid has reduced slightly.
- Whisk in cream and remaining mustard.
- Stir in contents of sieve.
- Boil, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Arrange chicken thighs on a warm shallow serving dish and pour sauce over and around chicken.
- Garnish with thyme and serve at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is very much like the Chicken Dijonnaise recipe I have made for years, really good. I added the ingredients which are in my old recipe but not in this one, which is only 2 things, 1 large carrot, diced into approximately 1/4 inch cubes (put in with the shallots) and using creme fraiche instead of heavy cream (my recipe says either cream or creme fraiche so either works but I prefer CF.) I always serve it over lightly buttered egg noodles.
We really enjoyed this chicken recipe for dinner last night. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but next time I will make sure to use the bone-in kind as specified to give it more substance. We love dijon and we found the mustard cream sauce to be very flavorful. Since I had less than 2 lb of chicken, I made the whole sauce proportion and served mashed potatoes topped witht the extra sauce as a side. This worked really well. I served with a side of roasted zucchini as the vegetable as I had some that needed immediate using. While it seemed like a strange choice, it went together fine. Thanks for a nice dinner, Leslie. I will definitely make this recipe again.
Our big problem here is I LOVE DIJON MUSTARD recipes such as this, the DH does not but he thought this one was o'kay (high praise from him). I quartered a whole chicken (left skin on) and used 3 spring onions finely chopped in place of the the shallot due to DH's intolerance to onion and DID NOT add the spring onion back to to the sauce. Sorry forgot about the thyme and considering th stuff is running rampant int he herb garden mad at myself for doing so, only realised after eating. Doing with a whole chicken quartered I could fit it all in my pot at once browning as per recipe, removed and gave the spring onion a quick fry and returned chicken and cooked for 45 minutes (could possible of done with 40) and proceeded with recipes as stated (except didn't add the onion aspect back to the sauce). Thank you ~Leslie~, made for Recipe Swap #31 August 2009.
Absolutely delicious! The long list of directions is misleading because it was very easy to make. We all loved it! I did pretty much everything as listed but couldn't find a thyme sprig, so I added thyme to the sauce - just a little bit. I also used a nice Chardonnay for the white wine and had a glass of it with dinner. :) I also used boneless thighs. Made for ZWT5 for the Kitchen Witches. Thanks!
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am no longer an active member of this site.</p> <p>thank you to all who try my recipes!</p> <p><br /><br />*No one can make you feel inferior without your consent</p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/zwt6%20banners%20and%20photos/hostanimation.gif alt= width=150 height=200 /></p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZaarBanners/banner32.jpg alt= width=170 height=165 /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/BtoBHosts.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/2008AussieNZChristmasCardExchange.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/AMpageSticker.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/AussieRecipeSwap.gif alt= /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/rotaruarascals.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt= width=50% /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/Sage65/teambanner2.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/untitled_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>