Chicken and Vegetable Borscht
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 packed cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 3 medium white potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium beets, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 . 2 inch dice
- 15 ounces great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, cabbage, tomato paste. bay leaf, and 2 quarts water and stir well.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Turn to medium low and cook partially covered until vegetables are just tender about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken, tomatoes and beans and half the dill. Cook 6-8 minutes. Season to taste. Serve in bowls with rest of dill for garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This soup was made for the Culinary Quest Soups On Challenge. I'm not sure if I have ever had borscht every and am not sure what I was expecting. The recipe was adapted for the slow cooker. The onions and garlic were browned in oil and the chicken tossed and browned lightly. The beets were roasted and peeled. I wasn't sure how grated carrots and beets would do over an extended cook time so I opted to dice them. The water was reduced to 1 quart. The beets and beans were added the last 30 minutes or so in order for the flavors to meld. The only thing I would recommend is to pre-cook the chicken and add at the same time the beets and beans were added. My chicken was a little dry. No fault of the recipe just a conversion error on my part. The soup was cooked on medium to low heat and was ready in about 3 1/2 hours. Fresh dill was used in the soup and additional used as a garnish. Really good.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/527607/cookswithcattitude.jpg I am a middle aged foodie who has had the luxury of living all over the world except asia. Lived in or grew up in Nigeria, Kenya, Chicago, Russia,and haiti. born in New Zealand, brother born in Austria and many more. I have chronic medication resistant depression after 10 years on anti depressants that worked well but would stop working after a year or two, so now do my best at home living on disabilty. Not a bad thing, many have far worse health issues but i have been able to concentrate on food/cooking. My main passions are my cats. I live in the woods and somehow many starving strays or "dumps" have found the message babies who passed on left in the woods saying "suck lives at xxxx road. Most arrive sick and/or starving. Right now i have 2 that arrived with feline herpes and their attendant 2ndry bacterial infections but are doing beautifully. One old man who was going to be euthanized bc a lady who found him as a stray was moving and didnt want him...well he was a biter and rather grumpy who was in ICU for 3 days with a deadly gut infection which was fixed but he left with a diagnosis of diabetes. 3 months on insulin and finally diet controlled and he caught the herpes virus, respiratory symptom version and turned into a cuddler. Butterscotch must think "why didnt i figure out this cuddle stuff was great before i got sick!" Doing wonderfully even though he has bouts. he and the other kids are my babies. Sadly Butterscotch died of Lymphatic cancer in winter of 2008. A year before Big Boy arrived in my life, starving and weak. Full of affection he jumped into my arms and stayed, turns out he has FIV (cat hiv) so he needs to be watched closely. I love him dearly <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Stockingswapcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg"> <img src="http://www.caymandesigns.com/foodothers/fallswap.jpg">