Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas
photo by kellychris
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely shredded cooked chicken
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 (2 sheet) package prepared puff pastry
- flour, for rolling out pastry
- salsa, for topping
- sour cream, for topping
- green onions or chives, for topping
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Saute onions and garlic until onions are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add spices, stir to mix fully, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add black beans and chicken and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until black beans are heated through, about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let mixture cool fully. Add cilantro and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay out a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Flour the top of the dough and roll out the puff pastry until it is about 1/16-inch thick and about 12 inches by 16 inches.
- Trim edges to size, if necessary. Cut 4-inch strips crosswise and lengthwise making 12 (4 by 4-inch) squares. Make sure the squares are well floured and stack them in a little pile.
- To form empanadas: Fill a little dish with some room temperature water. Imagine each square you work with is separated in half by a diagonal. Place a couple tablespoons of filling in the top half. Dip a finger into the water and moisten the edges of the top half with water. Fold the bottom half to meet the edges of the top half. Use a fork to pinch and seal the edges. Lightly brush the tops with vegetable oil. Place finished pockets on a nonstick baking sheet and bake about 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and green onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were very good, though I made some with grass-fed beef and some with chicken . I found (for me anyway) they were easier to make as rectangles versus triangles and I ended up with 39 total empanadas. My pastries were not 4X4 either (LOL) so some came out small while others were larger. Definitely some extra work, but WELL WORTH IT! I also brushed the tops with an egg wash, and they came out a lovely golden brown and the pastry was the perfect flakiness (gotta love puff pastry). These little bites were gobbled up by everybody very quickly. DH especially liked the chicken ones, while DD and I liked the beef - just personal preferences there. Thanks for posting lazy gourmet - made for the Diabetic Tailgate Party in the Diabetic Forum, September 2010!
Yummy and super fun to make!! The chicken and black bean filling was delicious. Along with the cilantro and other spices, I added a bit of white pepper and some fresh lime juice and also folded a little shredded colby-jack cheese into each empanada along with the filling. Had to keep slapping my BFs hands away from the 'pretty' ones before I got my photo taken! Served with homemade salsa and sour cream. (I made more filling than called for and ran out of puff pastry, so I decided to use up some sheets of Phyllo I had left over from an earlier recipe....used a pastry brush to spread butter between 2 sheets and rolled up sort of like an egg roll. WOW! Don't know what you would call them, but they were tasty too! In reality, this filling could star in all sorts of fun and delicious creations. Now I'm thinking chimichangas!!!) Made for the Zingo round of ZWT5.
These are very good. I had to use up a variety of opened canned beans, so I used half of the black beans and half of the refried pinto beans. Boy, am I so full. I'm not a fan of beans but it was so good in it. I forgot all about the toppings while taking a photo of it but was too lazy to retake. I tried it with the toppings afterwards though. It's better with the salsa compared to the sour cream but still, I prefer eating it plain. Great make ahead! And with ready made puff pastry, yeah.. I too love it easy! Thanks for sharing, lazy gourmet. Made for ZWT5. Zaar Chow Hounds.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hey all! I am a weekend cook....hence the lazy gourmet title.</p> <p><br />I'm a veterinary technician with an animal shelter in Chicago. I take care of approximately 150 cats and 20 dogs on any one day in the rehabilitation unit. It's a good feeling job. <br /><br />I've been married to a keeper who I just celebrated my 13th anniversary with. We have our furry children - right now seven cats, two rabbits and two guinea pigs, along with my current foster dog who is recovering from a stint at a puppy mill (BOO HISS PUPPY MILLS). <br /><br />So enjoy my recipes! <br /><br />lazy</p> <p><a href=http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/LadyBlueNose/Cookbook%20Swap%20Designs/AZPCookbook2a-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/LadyBlueNose/Cookbook%20Swap%20Designs/AZPCookbook2a-1.jpg</a><a href=http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/LadyBlueNose/Cookbook%20Swap%20Designs/AZPCookbook2a-1.jpg><span class=smpt><br /><br /></span><br /></a></p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/spices2.jpg alt= width=262 height=186 /><br /><br /><a href=http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/?action=view&current=spoiledpetswap09partbanner.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/spoiledpetswap09partbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Acadia/Banners/WineSwapBanner2009-1.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/cookbookZWT.jpg border=0 alt=I am alw /> <br /><img src=http://home.insightbb.com/~webdesign5/Logo1a.jpeg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Birthday%20and%20Celebration%20Images/spicesswap_amtag1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookbookParticipation2.jpg alt= /></a></p> <p><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /></p> <p><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /></p>