Chicken and Biscuits With Wine and Herbs
photo by Betty Rocker
- Ready In:
- 6 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas
- 2 cups carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 1⁄3 cup tarragon, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 egg, mixed with 2 tbsp water for egg wash
- 1⁄4 cup dill, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1/2 hour or until cooked through. When the chicken is done, allow it to cool slightly, and then cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- In a medium pot, heat chicken broth and bouillon granules.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter. Add diced onion and cook for 10-15 minutes until onion is soft, stirring frequently. Sprinkle flour over the butter and onions, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the wine to the chicken broth, and then add the broth mixture to the pot and stir for a few minutes until the sauce comes together. Stir in the cream. Add the chicken cubes, peas, carrots, tarragon, salt and pepper. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Pour stew into a heavy duty 9x13 inch baking dish. Put on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuit dough. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine flour, baking power, salt, and sugar at low speed. Dice butter, add to dry ingredients, and mix at low to medium speed until butter is the size of small peas. Add herbs and mix again. Combine milk and cream, and then while the mixer is running, slowly pour in the milk mixture.
- On a floured surface, roll out biscuit dough with a rolling pin to between 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds or use a favorite cookie cutter to make 12 biscuits.
- Take the chicken stew out of the oven, and arrange the biscuits on top. Brush with egg wash, and return to the oven to bake for about 30-40 minutes until the biscuits are nicely browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!