Chia Seed Meatballs With Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce
photo by Chef BeeGee
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
3 meatballs and sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 (28 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen Baby Spinach
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1 lb 85% ground lean pork
- 5 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce (from this recipe)
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1. Steam the carrots for 20 minutes until tender.
- 2. Add the spinach to the carrots and continue to steam for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add carrots and spinach to food processor and puree (approx. 2 minutes).
- 4. Open one can of the petite diced tomatoes and add to the food processor, blending the tomatoes, carrots and spinach together until all large chunks are gone.
- 5. In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- 6. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- 7. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- 8. Then add the carrot/tomato/spinach mixture,along with all the remaining SAUCE ingredients.
- 9. Simmer on low heat for 4-6 hours, uncovered. Stir occasionally.
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Add all of the meatball ingredients to a bowl, and knead with hands until combined thoroughly.
- 2. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes so chia seeds can soften.
- 3. Form mixture into small meatballs and place in an ungreased 9x13 inch pan - should make 24 meatballs and fit the pan perfectly.
- 4. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 5. Once done, add the meatballs to the sauce cooking on the stove.
- 6. Serve over your favorite pasta or on a hoagie!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a Bostonian who now lives in the midwest. Admittedly, cooking does not run in my family, so I have looked to friends and pro's to help me grow my love of cooking.</p>