Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- Ready In:
1 3-1/2 cups
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until cherries are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- My Note: I Purchased the Taste of Home Grill It cookbook and this was one of the recipes I've tried. Made a double batch with fresh bing cherries. The only change made was adding a little kick of heat with an Italian red pepper. EXCELLENT on BBQ whole chicken breast. Will be making an another double batch and canning for future use.
- I like it a little spicy, so I added some sweet hot Asian pepper sauce to it. Finger licking goodness.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!