Cheezy Chicken Parmesan With Zucchini "pasta"
Another from the "Cook Yourself Thin" series on Lifetime TV. DH loved the cheese and couldn't tell it was "diet food!" I think this would be great for company.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
For the tomato sauce and zucchini pappardelle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes, in juice
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4 zucchini, thinly sliced
For the chicken
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons extra for serving
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons extra for serving
- 1⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- For the sauce, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Cover, reduce heat to very low and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. (Check a few times during cooking; if vegetables begin to brown, add 2 teaspoons water and stir.)
- Add the tomatoes with juice, basil and another 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently 5 minutes.
- Then simmer very gently, partially covered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Season with 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Meanwhile, using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick long pappardelle-like strips, turning the zucchini and slicing on 4 sides only until you see the center seeds. Discard the centers.
- Remove the tomato sauce to a bowl with a rubber spatula; no need to clean the skillet.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook until wilted, tossing often with tongs for even cooking, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return the tomato sauce to the pan, add 1 tablespoon of the parsley, and season with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cover and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half to make 6–8 large, thin cutlets.
- On a plate, combine the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and the remaining chopped parsley.
- Place the egg white on a second plate.
- Dip the chicken into the egg whites, and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat completely; set aside on a large plate or platter.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in each of two nonstick 10-inch skillets over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the chicken to each skillet and cook until lightly browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip, and cook until chicken is firm, and lightly browned on the other side, 1 to 3 more minutes.
- To serve, re-warm the zucchini in the tomato sauce over medium heat.
- Use tongs to make a “twist” of zucchini pappardelle on each of 4 plates.
- Lean chicken cutlets against the side of zucchini.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon ricotta onto each plate, and spoon remaining tomato sauce on top of the chicken.
- To garnish each plate, drizzle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Parmesan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION