Cheesy Roasted Onions with Smoked Paprika
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 8 medium onions, preferably white
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- kosher salt or sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 250 ml real cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Peel the onions, keep a bit of the root attached so that they don't fall apart, and arrange in a lightly oiled baking tray so that they fit snugly side by side.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and bake until soft, about an hour but it could be longer.
- Remove from the oven, and turn the heat up to 220 degrees C.
- Combine the cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper and cream in a jug or bowl, stirring well.
- Pour it over the onions, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Return the dish to the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese sauce is golden brown and bubbling.
Join The Conversation
This is the BEST onion recipe ever!!! I've always loved roasted onions, but this recipe (especially the smoked paprika) is the ultimate in roasted onions! I made no changes to this recipe. I used Vidalia onions. I will certainly make these again.... perhaps even for one of my special holiday meals. Thanx for posting!