Chai-Spice Cookies -- Gluten-Free or Regular
photo by flower7
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat butter with granulated sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in flour, spices and salt until just combined.
- Scoop and roll dough into small teaspoon-sized balls and place about an inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar and let cool completely on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
- NOTE: if using a gluten-free flour, please follow your package directions for adding xanthum gum.
I made these non-gluten free about 10 times now, and they are delicious! I play around with the amount of spice each time, depending on how I'm feeling, and have yet to find the place where I have too much cinnamon and ginger. ;)<br/><br/>I do have to add a splash of milk to make the dough workable, perhaps because I'm living in a pretty dry client.