- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat 12 regular-sized or 36 mini muffin cups with non-stick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg whites, orange peel, orange juice, milk, oil, applesauce and honey.
- Beat with a fork until well-combined.
- (The mixture will look curdled.) Then stir in the carrots.
- Add the carrot mixture to the flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened.
- (The batter will be lumpy.) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each cup about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes for mini muffins or 20-22 minutes for larger muffins, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- (Do not overbake.) Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Then remove the muffins from the pan.
- Good served warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just made these are they are pretty good. I used all whole wheat flour, added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and did a 1/2 cup carrots and a 1/2 cup zucchini. I also sprinkled the top of each muffin with a few pieces of chopped pecans. Definitely not a dessert muffin though. Also, I was a little disappointed that the orange flavor didn't show through more. I will probably up the amount of zest next time around.
I made these as part of the "Pick your Chef" cookathon today. I found these muffins to be not very much on the sweet side, like you said, so, I'll definitely be adding more honey next time I make these. These sure are a healthy snack for children. I'll be glad to make these for my tiny friends;) Thanks for posting!