Caribbean Spiced Roast Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces rum
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 -3 lb roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325 F or 165°C.
- In a small bowl combine lime juice,rum and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Mix together all the spices. Place chicken in a roasting pan and Brush with the oil then rub in the spice mixture.
- While chicken is roasting baste with the juice, rum ,sugar mixture every 15 -20 minutes.
- roast for about 90 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 180 when placed in the thickest part of the thigh or juice run clear.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Join The Conversation
You can really smell the cinnamon in the seasoning. I thought that it might be dominant in the flavor, but all the seasonings blended well and the chicken was so juicy. DS declared the skin the best part! Next time I may add just a tad more cayenne for a little more heat though. Great recipe, Wicked! Made for ZWT5 for Saucy Senoritas.
Wow! This was just fabulous. The spice rub was so tasty, with just the right blend of assorted spices. And the lime and rum baste was very tasty and topped off the roasting process just perfectly. This is one dish that I will definitely make often. The chicken was very moist and so fork-tender, so there was no need to really carve the roasting chicken. Rather, it just sort of fell right off the bone and onto the platter. Many many thanks, wicked cook 46. Made for "Every Day Is A Holiday" tag game.