Candied Sweet Potatoes
This is my family's recipe so it probably originate in Central Pennsylvania. There are other candied sweet potatoe recipes on Recipezaar but they all called for baking and this is stovetop preperation only. I don't have a cover for my cast iron skillet so I just lay a cookie sheet on top!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- In heavy skillet, heat brown sugar and butter on low til melted an blended.
- Add sweet potatoes, turn until coated with sugar and butter.
- Add water, salt and cinnamon.
- Cover and cook slow on low about an hour or so.
- They are done when fork goes in easy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My Aunt use to make sweet potatos on the stove top that were out of this world. I have been searching for a recipe like her's so you have a big climb to a 5 star recipe. These were sweet and flavorful. I would of liked more carmelization to bring these up to my aunt's. This recipe cane very close to her's. I will try them again, paying more attention to them and maybe tweek the brown surgar a little. Overall, great recipes. The standards were just set high. Thank you.Reply