Butterscotch Carrot Noodle Pudding Aka Kugel
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 4 cups freshly cooked egg noodles, cooked according to pkg directions & drained, measured after cooking
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese, drained well
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese or (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 -5 raw carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick coin shapes (measuring 2 cups once sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mild curry powder (do not use spicy!)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9x13" glass casserole dish.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions, drain and return to pot (off of the heat.) Add butter to noodles and stir gently to coat; set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place cut carrots and 1/2 tsp granulated sugar into a small saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-ish heat and cook until fork tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Drain carrots and return to same pot (but off of the heat).
- To the carrots, the 2 Tbsp brown sugar,the curry powder, the raisins, and a teaspoon of butter and stir until combined and butter has melted; set aside.
- Get a large mixing bowl and using a spoon (not a mixer!), stir together the drained ricotta cheese and the cream cheese until well blended.
- Add the 1/2 cup sugar and the eggs and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add the cooled noodles, stirring to combine the egg mixture with the noodles.
- Spread half of the noodle mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Pour the carrot mixture over the noodle layer, evenly distributing the raisins& the carrots.
- Top with remaining noodle mixture, spreading with a rubber spatula.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the surface.
- Bake, uncovered, in the center of the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow --- this is sooo good and perfect for desert! It was a surprise for me because I was expecting something more like a side dish because of the noodles and carrots but instead it is a delicious sweet pudding that everyone enjoyed and with the carrots and the good-for-you stuff in it, I can even justify that it's good for me so I can have more helpings! Thanks Heather for sharing this winning recipe! This will be served often in our house as a desert.