Butternut Squash Soup With Apple
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I've made this for Christmas Eve, and I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was. I think I found it in LHJ years ago, but who knows. The squash, sweet potatoes, and apples are heavenly.
- Ready In:
- 3 3⁄4 lbs butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks)
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 lb granny smith apple
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices red apples
- 8 slices green apples
- 8 slices white cheddar cheese
- snipped chives
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a roasting pan, mix the squash, potatoes, apples, onions, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
- Roast, stirring twice, 55 minutes or until tender.
- In a food processor or blender, in batches, puree squash mixture, blending some broth and water into each batch.
- Pour into Dutch oven and stir in remaining salt, broth, water, the half and half, and butter.
- Heat over medium heat until the butter melts.
- For the garnish, preheat the broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place red-apple slices at least 1" apart on sheet and top each with slightly overlapping slice of green apple.
- Top with slice of cheese (breaking in half to fit if necessary).
- Broil 1 to 2 minutes to melt cheese and remove from oven.
- Let stand 1 minute.
- Ladle soup into 8 bowls, top each with apple-cheese garnish, chives, and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION