- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice (white or brown)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup bulgur, slightly toasted in oven (coarse grind)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (grated carrots, chopped mushrooms, cauliflower)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup olive
- Check, rinse and drain the rice.
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart pot on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds; as soon as they change color, add chopped onions.
- Stir until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the bulgur and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice, vegetables and salt; stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water (3½ for presoaked brown rice).
- When the water starts to boil (in about 5 minutes), lower the heat, add garam masala, and let the rice simmer, covered, until cooked (15 to 20 minutes for white rice, 40 to 50 minutes for brown rice).
- Garnish and serve hot.
- Variation: Add some wild rice for chewy texture and smoky flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for lunch this afternoon. I used 1 cup white Basmati rice, 6 cups of water(3 cups was way too less!), 2 onions(chopped), 1 1/4 cups bulgur(toasted in my oven for 3 minutes on HIGH and then coarsely ground in my mixie), 2 cups mixed vegetables(I used a combo of grated carrots, French beans and green peas), 1 1/4 tbsps. oil, 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 tsp. garam masala powder and 2 1/2 tsps.+3/4 tsp. salt. I followed all the steps as they have been given. I garnished my pulao with freshly cut corriander leaves instead of cashews(as we're all fighting the battle of the bulge in the family). I, for sure, loved the pulao, but my dad didn't said it could be improved by adding in a bayleaf and a green cardamom after step 2. My mom said it could be improved by making it a little spicy. She suggested adding in 1/2 tsp. minimum of red chilli powder or a slit green chilli or two. I loved it as it was. Thank You for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
After a successful professional career of 36 years, I am involved in several activities, for example,: Teach Indian cooking, organize India festival, member of Interfaith Council. Have published a cookbook 'Recipes with a Spice - Indian Cuisine for Balanced Nutrition' available from me at a discount price. Visit [http://www.healthyindiancuisine.com/] Also published 'Hindu Spirituality - A Practical Approach based on the Bhagavad Gita'.