Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From America's Test Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
For the Cauliflower
- 1 -2 quart peanut oil or 1 -2 quart vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk or 2/3 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 lb cauliflower floret, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing
- Buffalo Sauce: Melt coconut oil in small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in hot sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar until combined. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm; set aside.
- For the Cauliflower: Line platter with multiple layers of paper towels. Add oil to large Dutch (about 6 quart and cast iron works great) oven until it measures about 1 1/2 inches deep and heat over medium-high heat to 400 degrees. While oil heats, combine cornstarch, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Whisk coconut milk and hot sauce together in large bowl. Add cauliflower; toss to coat well. Sprinkle cornstarch mixture over cauliflower; fold with rubber spatula until thoroughly coated.
- Fry half of cauliflower, adding 1 or 2 pieces to oil at a time, until golden and crisp, gently stirring as needed to prevent pieces from sticking together, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer fried cauliflower to the paper-lined platter.
- Return oil to 400 degrees and repeat with remaining cauliflower. Transfer 1/2 cup sauce to clean large bowl, add fried cauliflower and gently toss to coat. Serve immediately with dressing and remaining sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION