Brown Sugar Buns or Rolls
photo by andrea185
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk (I've used skim, 1%, 2% and homo over the years and they all work the same)
- Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin (I've used cooking spray and shortening with equal success).
- Cream together butter and brown sugar in small bowl and place a generous teaspoon of mixture in each muffin cup. Set the rest aside.
- In a large bown mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives or a fork incorporate shortening into flour until they're fully combined.
- Make a well in the center and gradually add milk, stirring with a fork until a moist dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and with a floured rolling pin roll as close as possible to a 30 x 30 cm (12 X 12 inch) square. Trim to form a square.
- Spread reserved brown sugar and butter mixture over top, reaching all 4 sides. An offset spatula works really well for this!
- Roll dough towards you and reposition seam side down. Slice in half, and then into quarters. Cut each quarter into 3 pinwheels, approx 1 inch each.
- Place 1 roll in each muffin cup, with the filling up.
- Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 12 minutes. I find they come out better when I turn my convection off so you may want to try that as well, if it applies. Keep an eye on them for the last couple of minutes -- you want to remove them from the oven while the sugar is still bubbling.
- Use a spoon to remove them to a rack to cool right away, before the sugar cools. I put waxed paper under the rack to make clean up easier.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!