Broccoli, Cannellini Bean & Cheddar Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth or (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb broccoli floret, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
- Tips & Notes.
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love trying new dishes. For me, food is a way of experiencing the world without leaving my home, and I'm hoping that as my two sons get older that I can convince them to come with me on my culinary adventures.