Brennan's Eggs Hussarde
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices Canadian bacon or 8 slices ham
- 8 holland rusks or 8 English muffins
Marchand de Vin Sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 scallion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup boiled ham, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 cups vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 lb butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan and warm the Canadian bacon over low heat.
- Place 2 Holland rusks on each plate and cover with slices of warm Canadian bacon.
- Spoon Marchand de Vin sauce over the meat, then set a poached egg on each slice.
- Ladle Hollandaise sauce over the eggs; serve.
- ---Marchandde Vin Sauce---.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and sauté the onion, garlic, scallions and ham for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, reduce the heat to medium and cook for for 2 minutes.
- Blend in the flour and cook, stirring for 4 minutes, then add the Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, wine, thyme and bay leaf.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaf and add the parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Yields three cups.
- Bring the water and vinegar to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Crack the eggs one at a time and drop them gently into the boiling water, being careful not to break the yolks.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, moving the eggs several times with a spoon to cook them evenly.
- When firm, remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place in a pan filled with cold water until serving.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, skim and discard the milk solids from the top of the butter.
- Hold the clarified butter over very low heat while preparing egg yolks.
- Place the egg yolks, vinegar, cayenne and salt in a large stainless steel bowl and whisk briefly.
- Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven large enough to accommodate the bowl with about 1 inch of water.
- Heat the water to just below the boiling point.
- set the bowl in the pan over the water; do not let the water touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture until slightly thickened, then drizzle the clarified butter into the yolks, whisking constantly.
- If the bottom of the bowl becomes hotter than warm to the touch, remove the bowl from the pan of water for a few seconds and let cool.
- When all of the butter is incorporated and the sauce is thick, beat in the water.
- Serve the Hollandaise immediately or keep in a warm place at room temperature until use.
- Yields 2 cups.
You are sooo right about not missing these babies when you go to Naw'lins! I made this wonderful recipe at home, and let me tell you, it IS the same. This lovely Creole recipe is fantastic. The sauce is to die for. It is a bit work intensive, but that is how you make a good sauce. Thanks for posting this terrific recipe....and you know that I will definately make it again and again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/girl/zwaa.gif alt= /> I am an escapee from a previous life of professional employment in various fields of <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/krank/med.gif alt= /> nursing, management and occupational health and saftey. <br /><br />We moved to Arizona 13 years ago after having spent all our life in different areas of MA. <br />I live with Mr. Lorac <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/squeeze.gif alt= /> and 2 black cats <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Mo (Mozart) and <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Go (Van Gogh). <br />I love doing creative things - <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/art/1.gif alt= /> oil painting, sewing, crafts, decorating and especially cooking. <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/3.gif alt= /> <br /><br />I enjoy digging through antique/thrift stores looking for treasures, art of any age, shape or form, <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/music2/11.gif alt= /> classical music, suspense- thriller type fiction and people watching. <br />I have 2 married sons, 2 wonderful daughter-in-laws, 4 <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/cat.gif alt= /> grandcats and 1 grandson <img src=http://www.smileycollector.com/images/patriotic/itty1.gif alt= /> born on the 4th of July ! <br /><br /><br />I Co-Host <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/talking/9.gif alt= /> the Recipe Request and Eastern European Forums. <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/BtoBHosts.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/BBQParticipantBanner-Final.jpg alt= /> <img src=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/ruemke/food/a.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85476 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC5-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85474 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC3-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=28467 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC2-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=35084 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC1-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/linien/27660.gif alt= /></p>