- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 -2 cup coconut
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey or 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1 cup pecans (or whatever else you have on hand) or 1 cup walnuts (or whatever else you have on hand)
- 1 cup water
- nutmeg, to taste
- Mix coconut, oats, wheat germ, salt, sugar, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add honey, vanilla, oil, and water.
- Mix well again squishing and compacting with both hands.
- Place granola on 2 cooking pans, can make some clumps and some flat, and cook at 150°C (300°F).
- Take granola out every 10-15 minutes to mix on pan so it doesn't burn.
- Cook until dry and has started to turn slightly brown throughout. Can take 1-2 hours (or more) to bake (I usually double the recipe and cook on 4 pans throughout the day to have more stored because of the long cooking time).
Join The Conversation
This is my first attempt at making homemade granola, and boy-o-boy, I'm hooked! My first attempt I had difficulty getting clumps, so I will work on that technique. My one request of Enjolinfam is to include the ingredient "wheat germ" with the others in step #1; I had already combined everything and placed my two trays in the oven before I realized that I had wheat germ still left on the counter! I took my trays back out of the oven and all went back into the mixing bowl! Thanks, Enjolinfam! Made for <b>123 Hit Wonders</b>.
I made this using maple syrup and added some cashews, flaxseed, sunflower seeds & pepitas. I used Splenda in place of sugar but didn't measure it, just eyeballed it and used a lot less than asked for. I've never done granola with water before & it works great, you don't have to use as much oil. Toddler DD & I both loved this!