Braised White Cabbage
This was on the Foodnetwork website. Great way to make cabbage taste good. I've substituted chicken stock for the wine. If you use salted butter, don't add as much salt.
- Ready In:
- 1 large head white cabbage
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut cabbage into quarters, remove core and shred finely.
- Put wine and bay leaves in a heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil, reducing by half. Add cabbage, salt and pepper, cover with the tightfitting lid and transfer to oven.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, stirring down after 15, take out when cabbage is limp and has a few little browned bits stuck to the side.
- Cut the butter and stir into cabbage. Check and adjust seasoning-removing bay leaves.
- Can be reheated in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very easy side dish. Since I love cabbage, this was a no-brainer. This is the first time I used bay leaf, and enjoyed it tremendously. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Kyle. Made for PAC Spring 2010. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0Reply