Blueberry and Nectarine Cobbler
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 ripe nectarines, about 1 pound
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry tapioca
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced into small pieces, plus more for the pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- For the fruit: Halve the nectarines along their natural seam, but leave skins on. Cut each half into 3 wedges. Toss nectarines with blueberries, sugar, and tapioca and put into a buttered 9-inch round gratin or casserole dish. Dot the top of the fruit with the pieces of butter.
- For the cobbler top: Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Rub in 2 tablespoons of the butter with your fingertips until no visible pieces remain. Rub in the remaining 4 tablespoons butter just until it is in even, pea-size pieces. Whisk together the egg and cream and stir into the dry ingredients to make a shaggy, loose dough.
- Spoon large spoonfuls of dough on top of the fruit in clumps (it should look like rough, old-fashioned cobblestones, hence the name cobbler). Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the topping comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool cobbler on a rack, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or room temperature, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thanks, Boomette, for a great cobbler! I wasn't able to find useable nectarines, so used peaches instead & those, along with the blueberries made for a great dessert! It was so easy to make, & served with some frozen vanilla yogurt, it was wonderful! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
Divine!! Yesterday must have been my day for Food Network, as I also served with recipe #428645 #428645 and recipe #431482 #431482. As for the cobbler, I did only use half the sugar in the fruit, also brown sugar in the topping with a dash of vanilla, then put some cinnamon on the top. Mine was done in 40 minutes, so I suggest keeping an eye on it after that time. I was worried about it boiling over, so I did put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack, which I am glad I did! I think half and half would work just fine as well.erved with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and it was delish!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong><span>I'm the host of Bargain Basement tag game in the cooking game forum. You're welcome to play anytime. You'll be surprised to find great recipes that were never reviewed. <br /></span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p><strong><span>I want to say a big thank you to everyone who tries my recipes and post photos. I don't always have the time to say thanks to each of you but be sure it's so appreciated :)</span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/zwt6%20banners%20and%20photos/captain.jpg alt=width=150 height=200 /></p> <p><br /><img src=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/emmyduckie/zwt/ZwizzleBadge.jpg alt=width=200 height=300 /><br /> <br /><a title=banner3 href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26630178@N05/3510953178></a><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3510953178_b35b3086a8.jpg alt=banner3 width=500 height=250 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> By Brooke The Cook in WI <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510511#3510511> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /> <br /></a><a title=Photo href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/boomette1/514183676></a><img src=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/514183676_f79b486466_m.jpg alt=good width=240 height=137 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></p> <p><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/ZTAA-sm.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p> <p><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/Pets-STKR.jpg alt=width=200 height=200 /></p>