Blueberry and Lemon Shortbread Crumble Bars
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
For the shortbread
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling
- 3⁄4 cup blueberry jam, warmed in the microwave for 10-15 seconds
For the crumble
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oats, not quick cook
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease and line an 8x8 inch square pan.
- Place the butter, flours, icing sugar, lemon zest and salt into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Mix on med-high for 2-3 minutes until you have a crumbly mix, with no large lumps of butter. This dough will not come together like a normal dough, that's fine!
- Tip the shortbread into your greased pan. Spread and level with a spatula/the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a separate, medium sized bowl, place the 1/2 stick of butter, flour, sugar and oats.
- Mix together with your fingers, until the mix resemble bread crumbs. Some larger lumps are fine. Leave to one side.
- Place the blueberry jam into a small heatproof bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds. This just makes it easier to spread.
- Pour over the shortbread and spread until level. Leave a small 1/2 inch gap around the edges.
- Sprinkle the jam layer with the crumble mix, it's fine if there are a few gaps.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 mins until the top is lightly browned, the jam is bubbling and an inserted skewer into the middle comes out piping hot.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan.
- Once cooled, slice into 9-12 bars. Bars will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 3 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!