Blue Mussels Go Green
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 6 lbs fresh cultured blue mussels
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shallots or 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar (marinade)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (marinade)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (marinade)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (marinade)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (marinade)
- 1 dash black pepper (marinade)
- Stir the fresh blue mussels in a colander while rinsing in tap water. Set aside for a few minutes. Tap any that are open and discard those that don't close in response to the tap.
- Place all ingredients (not the marinade ingredients) in a large sauce pan with a lid and steam for 5 to 7 minutes until fresh blue mussels are steamed open (about 3 minutes).
- Remove mussels, discarding any that do not open.
- When cool, shuck mussels and place meats in a large serving dish. Combine above marinade ingredients in an air–tight container and shake vigorously to blend.
- Pour over fresh blue mussels.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!