Tangy BLT Salad
An updated version of the UK's favorite sandwich. This recipe comes from my favorite cooking magazine Cook's Illustrated.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's)
- 4 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick slices
- 12 slices bacon, Thick sliced, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (10 ounce) bag chopped romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Spread 1/4 cup mayonnaise over both sides of bread slices and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch croutons.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Discard drippings.
- Whisk remaining mayonnaise and vinegar in large bowl.
- Add bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, and croutons and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Great salad, the bacon totally makes it. I used less mayo in the dressing, and although I like mayo on my beloved BLTs, I think I would have preferred oil in both parts of the salad. I had some difficulty with the bread crisping up to croutons and also with it sticking, where I know it has worked before when I have made them with oil. These are some huge salads, practically an entree! Well enjoyed.