BH&G Apple Slab Pie W/ Crumb Topping
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
If apple pie and apple crisp had a love child, this is what it would taste like!!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening
- 8 -10 tablespoons cold water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1⁄2 lbs tart cooking apples (peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices) or 10 cups tart cooking apples
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with 18-inch-wide foil, extending the foil up over the edges of the pan; set aside. For dough: In a large bowl, stir together the 2-1/4 cups flour and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Using your fingers, gently knead the dough just until a ball forms.
- Preheat oven to 375°F On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Ease dough into the pan and up the sides, being careful not to stretch it. Trim dough to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pan. Fold dough edge over and flute as desired.
- In an extra-large bowl, combine sugar, the 1/3 cup flour, and the cinnamon; add apples. Toss lightly until apples are coated. Spoon apple mixture into dough-lined pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle with Crumb Topping (pan will be full).
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover top with foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cool completely. Cut into rectangles. Makes 25 servings.
- In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped pecans.
To Bake Ahead:
- Bake and cool as directed. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 24 hours; or chill for up to 3 days. Return to room temperature before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION